Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Homeade French Bread

I have had 3 different people ask me for my french bread recipe in the last few weeks so I thought it would be easiest to post it on my blog.


1. Dissolve 2 pkg. (4 t) dry yeast in 1/2 c warm water
2. Allow to stand 10 min.
3. Combine in large bowl:
2 c. hot water
3 T. sugar
5 T. oil
1 T. salt
3 c. flour
4. Stir in yeast
5. Stir in mixing well- 3 c. flour
6. Leaving spoon in batter allow to rest 10 min.
7. Stir vigorously- allow to rest 10 min. Repeat #7 3 more times
8. Turn dough onto floured bread board. Divide it in half
9. Roll into a 9 x 12 rectangle. Start at long edge and roll loosely as for jelly roll. Seal edges. Repeat with other half
10. Place seam side down on one large baking sheet.
11. Use a sharp knife and slash top 3 times.
12. You can either brush the tops with a beaten egg before you cook it or brush them with melted butter after you cook it. (I prefer the butter, it makes the crust softer).
13. Raise for 30 min. Bake for 35 min. at 400


I use the leftover bread for yummy french toast the next day.

No comments: