Friday, February 6, 2009

This is for you Cara!

I make english toffee every year for my neighbors for christmas. My friend Cara asked me for the recipe last year and I am such a slacker that I am just getting to it now. Sorry it took me so long!


English Toffee

1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 T. light corn syrup
3 T. water
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted almonds

-Line a 13x9x2 inch (cake pan) baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup chopped nuts in pan. Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In saucepan melt butter. Add sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat to boiling.
Clip Candy thermometer to pan. Cook and stir over medium heat to 290, soft-crack stage (about 15 minutes). Watch carefully after 280 to prevent scorching. Remove saucepan from heat; remove thermometer. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Let stand 5 minutes or till firm; sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes. When softened, spread chocolate over mixture. Sprinkle with chopped almonds. chill till firm. Lift candy out of pan; break into pieces. Store tightly covered. Makes about 1 1/2 pounds.

5 comments:

Jer and Jealin said...

I was wondering if you could come over to my house tomorrow and give me a visual demostration?

Mark & Stacie said...

But of course, I can't think of anything I would like more!

Holly said...

Mmmm - this looks exactly like the kind of treat I need to stay away from. I LOVE toffee - I could eat an entire pan in a day I have no doubt.

Elisa and Tyler said...

I was wondering if you coud give me the recipe for how to make it so you finally take me to chucky cheese's


T

Josh and Cara said...

Stacie!!! Yeah! I'm so excited! Your recipe is so delicious! When you brought them over in Dec., Josh wasn't home and so I ate all of them!! :) I felt bad when he got home and told him I ate all of them and so now I can make him some! Thank you!! And now I'm in trouble! Now that I have it, I will want to make it all the time!